FASHION STAR (8-13+)
Are you a major DIY-er? Dream of becoming a fashion designer? It’s time to learn how to sew, or—if you already know how—take your skills to the next level. A teen version of Introductory Sewing, our most popular course, Fashion Star (8-13+) is the program that will bring your technical sewing skills and your finished projects up to par with your creativity. You’ll learn sewing machine basics, seam finishing techniques, and learn how to work with a store-bought pattern. You’ll make your own skirt that looks great both inside and out. If you’ve already sewn before, or if you’ve taken our Kids After School program, think of Fashion Star as the finishing touch. We’re focusing on slowing things down, getting things perfect, and really refining your sewing skills and your final projects.
PROJECTS: Your very own skirt, made from a pattern.
SKILLS & TECHNIQUES:
- Sewing-machine basics
- Tools and terminology
- Stitches: Regular stitch, stay stitch, topstitch, edgestitch, basting, stitch-in-the-ditch
- Seam finishes: Serging, zigzag, over-edge zigzag
- Preparing, marking, and cutting fabric
- Reading a commercial pattern
- Installing regular zippers, waistbands, and interfacing
- Sewing a garment that fits including adjusting the size and sewing darts
- Hemming a garment properly